Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The 4 Eating Out Words to Memorize

"ON THE SIDE PLEASE."

A few evenings ago we ventured out for dinner as a new family of 5.  My husband the BBQ lover pleaded with me to try a new restaurant in town.  Not being a huge meat eater I tend to shy away from BBQ places because there isn't much on the menu to suite me.  Nevertheless, he talked me into BBQ. 

We pull up and realize that it's not really a sit down and be waited on restaurant. It's along the lines of Fresh Food Fast (Just slower fast food in my book).  Taking a look at the menu posted above the register I'm searching for something for both my kids and me.  The hubbie has already ordered his ribs and is fine with a plate full of meat for dinner.  Finally I see something that actually came from the ground...a baked potato. 
When I speak up to order this "baked potato" the guy at the register got really excited and said it was their special and the best thing on the menu in his opinion.  Upon asking whats on the potato I reconfirmed why we as Americans are fat and in poor health, listen to this...

"First we put butter, sour cream, and chives on it.  Then we pour melted cheese sauce over the top.  But the best part is the scoop of pulled pork that goes on top!"

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!  Ok, I didn't say that but certainly my face showed it.  The words that came next..."Can I have the potato naked with everything on the side".  (They were going to charge me the same amount for the potato all by itself anyway.)

So, I had an entire meal (naked potato, and pulled pork) for a lot less calories and money.  Sure wish there had been even 1 vegetable on the menu. 

Remember....ON THE SIDE PLEASE....Then you decide what to put on your sandwich, salad, potato, etc.  Restaurants typically sauce everything to the max. Ask for all sauces on the side...

My Meals Today:
Breakfast: 2 egg whites and 1 egg, 2 w/w pieces of toast with low sugar apricot jam.
Snack: Quick handful of peanuts
Lunch: cottage Cheese with Pretzel Crisps (see below), grapes and water.
Snack: smoothie (greek yogurt, frozen blueberries, soy protein, scoop cottage cheese, a little soy milk and tsp aguave syrup)
Dinner: Homemade w/w pizza with veggies and chicken.
Snack: Rice Cake with peanut butter

**Sick kids really throw a wrench in your eating plans.  I've been missing snacks and throwing together meals for a couple days. Hopefully I'm back on track today.

My Workout Today:
Working on a good baseline 3 mile run.  Today I'll do 2 min run... 1min walk for 20-30 mins. 
My usual ab workout (if everyone leaves me alone for a few minutes)

Have a great day and please share this with friends. 

Try Pretzel Crisps!  These satisfy your chip craving with a baked whole wheat pretzel.  The everything flavor is lower in sodium and only 110 calories for 11 pretzels.  Not bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment