Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Training Begins Here!

Putting off any triathlon races for the past 2 years has been hard.  This is the year to kick it back into gear.  Although I'm not planning anything longer than a few sprints this year I'm mentally preparing for a much longer tougher race.  Taking my body from fair or moderate shape to excellent shape in 12 weeks could prove to be more of a challenge than I thought.  My baseline training should be complete by now (ie. 3 mile run, 30 mins on a bike, and 15 min pool time).  As you might guess my butt hasn't touched the saddle of a bike yet (could be a few more weeks), my legs are still struggling through a 30 min run with varied walk times and I have yet to meet the acquaintance of the pool. 

The plan:  Next week begins my first real training week so I'll start from where I am and take it slow realizing my first race may very likely not be my best time. 

My workout today: 
Got back into my Restore the Core DVD  (see if you can find them on ebay or online...great for getting your core on the right track) 

Followed by a 30 min run:  2 min run, 1 min walk (twice), 3 min run, 1 min walk (twice), 4 min run, 1 min walk (twice), run out the last 6 mins. 

My Meals today:
Breakfast: Smoothie (in a hurry...great option...see recipe below)
Snack:  Seriously...I can hardly remember to put my breast pads in before leaving the house, I'll remember tomorrow.
Lunch: Spoons (w/w flatbread salmon sandwich with greens and cup of butternut squash soup non dairy, vegetarian.
Snack:  Pretzel Crisps with cottage cheese
Dinner: Stuffed Red Peppers (black beans, corn, onion, brown rice and a little 2% cheese)
Snack: Green tea with soy milk, rice cake.

Smoothie Recipe:
scoop of f/f cottage cheese   
scoop of f/f greek yogurt (plain)
1 tbsp flaxseed (meal or seed)
1 tsp peanut butter
1 tbsp aguave syrup
frozen berries
(The bullet blender is awesome for smoothies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment